Monday, February 14, 2011

these folks:

my grandparents, all gussied up and ready to walk to church.
what made me think of them on Valentine's Day, you might ask? well. i suppose it's because when i think of love, i always think of them. they met in the post-depression years in dothan, alabama. my grandmother was a preacher's daughter and my grandad a rascally sharecropper. in those days a big old school bus came around to pick up the folks for church on sunday morning. on this particular morning my grandad spotted my grandmother sitting toward the back of the bus with her sisters and promptly announced to the everyone on the bus that he was going to marry her. and several years later, he did. they lived together, loving each-other for 69 beautiful years.

2 comments:

  1. fantastic. I'll always remember Sunday dinner's at Nanny and Dendin' home. That pot roast was to die for and your grandfather could grow an amazing garden and eve get up on the roof at 90!

    ReplyDelete